The California Association of Business Brokers was founded in 1986.
The California Association of Business Brokers is a professional trade association whose members are actively involved in assisting their clients in selling, buying, and evaluating businesses. CABB was organized to recognize the professionals of business opportunity brokerage, to help educate the public on the benefits of using licensed intermediaries, and to establish a code of ethics to which members adhere.
The purposes of the association are:
- To unite those engaged in the sale of business opportunities for the purpose of developing the highest standards of professionalism among its members.
- To maintain and improve the educational standards of the business brokerage industry, and the membership of the Association.
- To serve the public by creating a broader and more active market for business sales.
- To educate the public regarding the use of professional business brokers to buy and sell their businesses.
- To serve as a forum for those who, by virtue of their unique experience and knowledge, enhance the ethical and professional standards of the Association and offer a special benefit to the business opportunity market.
- To encourage members to adhere to a common code of ethics as set forth by this Association in order to promote and maintain professionalism in the industry.
"Business Broker" is a generally known term that is commonly used in the business brokerage industry to refer to someone engaged in the business of selling businesses, regardless of how that person is licensed. This term is an industry-wide used term and is recognized by many associations including the International Business Broker Association (IBBA.org). Members of CABB are required to hold a California DRE Real Estate Broker or Salesperson license.